Book Review of The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang

R.F. Kuang really wrote this book with her whole chest at 19 and it really dragged me through the mud.

Synopsis

 

"When Rin aced the Keju—the Empire-wide test to find the most talented youth to learn at the Academies—it was a shock to everyone: to the test officials, who couldn’t believe a war orphan from Rooster Province could pass without cheating; to Rin’s guardians, who believed they’d finally be able to marry her off and further their criminal enterprise; and to Rin herself, who realized she was finally free of the servitude and despair that had made up her daily existence. That she got into Sinegard—the most elite military school in Nikan—was even more surprising.

 

But surprises aren’t always good.

 

Because being a dark-skinned peasant girl from the south is not an easy thing at Sinegard. Targeted from the outset by rival classmates for her color, poverty, and gender, Rin discovers she possesses a lethal, unearthly power—an aptitude for the nearly-mythical art of shamanism. Exploring the depths of her gift with the help of a seemingly insane teacher and psychoactive substances, Rin learns that gods long thought dead are very much alive—and that mastering control over those powers could mean more than just surviving school.

 

For while the Nikara Empire is at peace, the Federation of Mugen still lurks across a narrow sea. The militarily advanced Federation occupied Nikan for decades after the First Poppy War, and only barely lost the continent in the Second. And while most of the people are complacent to go about their lives, a few are aware that a Third Poppy War is just a spark away . . .

 

Rin’s shamanic powers may be the only way to save her people. But as she finds out more about the god that has chosen her, the vengeful Phoenix, she fears that winning the war may cost her humanity . . . and that it may already be too late." (Source: Goodreads)

 

 My Review 


    So to begin I started The Poppy War a while ago. I read the first chapter, closed the book, and didn't pick it up for like a week or two. And I'll tell you why……..because I knew it was about to put me through some stress. Not like bad stress but like I needed to be ENGAGED and devote my time to this book stress. It's fast-paced, you don't stay in one period of time too long. I mean this book covers 5 years of her life without feeling clunky and I loved that because I'm impatient. I actually took notes while reading this book……..ME?? NOTES! The notes weren't even complete sentences and sometimes I just used emojis to describe how I felt but I LOVED THIS BOOK.

 

The Poppy War is a Dark Fantasy, Historical Fiction book that is 527 pages and split into 3 parts. This book is definitely a military fantasy book and I didn't think I would enjoy that. I usually like when the books have a lil smoochin (SUE ME!) but this book doesn't have that at all, which is fine by me. R.F. Kuang really wrote this book with her whole chest at 19 and it really dragged me through the mud, especially during part 3. Like when I paused to reflect over the events that took place in the book I may have cried. Then I thought my crying was funny so I took pictures that will never make a debut on the internet. This book is influenced by politics from mid-20th-century China and conflicts based on the Second Sino-Japanese War, and an atmosphere inspired by the Song dynasty (I got this from Wikipedia, yes I know I'm a researching legend)


While reading this book I was never bored and I think it was because of the way Kuang switched up the pacing throughout the book. Like I know characters have to travel 2 weeks to get to a place, but I'm glad I don't have to actually be with them for most of that time.  Like the characters making that hike, NOT me.  I'm grateful that Kuang didn't spend too the whole book on the academics Rin went through cause I don't wanna read about school (please let my brain continue to ROT). I enjoyed the school setting and reading about the politics but at one point I was like…..wait do I have to take notes on this too with Rin. I can understand people wanting to spend more time at the academy but War is in the title so that's what I was waiting for……patiently.  You really got to experience 5 years of her life while pressing fast forward through parts that may contribute to the story but not necessarily to the overall message or impact.

 

Now let me talk about this girl Rin. A war orphan. Foster parents don't care about her. Constantly mocked and made fun of for her dark skin. Constantly being made to feel smaller than herself. Could never catch a break. But you know what she's still that BITCH.  You get to see her fight her way into that school and then constantly prove others wrong about her and I loved seeing her develop her way into a badass. You're still reminded that she's young though and actual war, just because you learn theories and lessons in school doesn't always mean it's easy to apply in the actual situation. 

 

Kitay is the only friend Rin really has at the academy and he's so smart like annoyingly smart. This boy said I don't understand how normal people study for tests, thankful for my photographic memory 😎. Like okay, Harvard graduate we get it you know your stuff. I did appreciate him though even though he was getting on my nerves at times.

 

I loved Jiang so much! He barely made sense most of the time, but that's why I loved him. My wacky king. Especially when he would make fun of the other professors and students. Even though he was wacky he was also very wise or maybe I'm making that part up. Regardless I wanted more Jiang!!

 

THE CIKE! THE CIKE!! MY FREAK CHILDREN! If you asked me to name all of them from memory I'd be like.....next question, but that's not the point. I loved them and their kind of insane but nonjudgmental attitude. The Cike really showed that they could potentially be a found family for Rin and I hope to see more of them in the next book. I also need more people to make fanart of The Cike crew because my stick figure drawings are not serving like I need them to.

 

Nezha was..…….so anyway Altan was cool. He was definitely a complex character that was trying to be strong for his team despite battling with his own demons. Wait now I want to cry.

 

Also maybe I have feelings for Nezha but that's my own demons I gotta deal with so don’t judge me.

 

The Empress confuses me though. What does she want? What's her motive? What is she??

 

Towards the end of the book, Rin makes a decision to do something (wow queen of vagueness) and chile um it's pretty crazy. Do I feel like Rin was justified in her decisions? I'm going to be honest I'm not Rin and I've never been in a situation like this (and I better not ever be!). I think the point is that in war things happen that aren't justified or seem very cruel and unusual just because they are.  There are no heroes in war. Kuang didn't even try to justify what Rin did. I don't think that's the point. I just think sometimes the author wants the reader to be like yeah things are going bad very quickly.


Overall, I really enjoyed the story and I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. I loved the characters, the plot, and how events really kept getting worse. I would like to thank R.F. Kuang for my sleepless nights while reading this. 

 

Here are some quotes that really resonated with me after reading this:

 

"War does not detemine who is right - only who is left" - Bertrand Russell 
 

"Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die." - Herbert Hoover 
 

"There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people." -Howard Zinn

 

Here I will (try to) describe each part of the book in gifs:


Part 1


  Lessons don't pay for themselves


 

Rin studying for the test



 Rin and her tutor


Rin and Nezha every chance they got


That pig was the foundation

 

Rin Training

 

This is Jiang (no I will not explain)


Rin and Venka


 

Rin and Nezha that other time


 

Rin


Part 2

 

Rin and Nezha 


Jiang 💖


The Cike


Sugar. An essential. Who even needs salt?? 


Rin trying her best with Altan


That lil beast thing

The Federation was just not giving them a break 


Part 3


AT THE BEGINNING Y'ALL


Altan convinced his plan will work out

 

Altan just being Altan


.........oh lord


The End


The content warnings of this book are: 

  • Abuse (emotional and physical)
  • Addiction
  • Assault
  • Character death
  • Drugs
  • Fatphobia (unchallenged)
  • Genocide
  • Gore
  • Human experimentation
  • Massacres
  • Mutilation
  • Murder
  • Racism
  • Rape
  • Self-harm
  • Torture
  • Violence (including against children)
  • War
  • Source: https://booktriggerwarnings.com

If you've read this book what did you think? If you haven't, what is your favorite dark fantasy book?

5 comments

  1. This review is??? FANTASTIC??? This was so insightful and funny! The Gif reactions is SUCH a good idea! I loved this!! ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!! And I'm glad you liked the Gif thread!!!

      Delete
  2. EXCELLENT review! The Poppy War is a book that SOUNDS so good to me, but I am just not into this genre. Maybe someday if I have an immense amount of time to dedicate I will be able to read this but for now, I will live vicariously through great reviews like yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly that's fine! Some genres just aren't for some people and I respect that. If you ever pick it up in the future I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Lovely review! It makes me want to jump right into it, but I still have to continue a series before I read anything else. :)

    ReplyDelete