So I Watch Stuff (July 23rd)



1. The Old Guard


"A covert team of immortal mercenaries are suddenly exposed and must now fight to keep their identity a secret just as an unexpected new member is discovered." (Source: IMDB)

 

This film stars:

Charlize Theron as Andy

Kiki Layne as Nile

Matthias Schoenaerts as Booker

Marwan Kenzari as Joe

Luca Marinelli as Nicky

Chiwetel Ejiofor


 My Thoughts:


    A Superhero film directed by a black woman…….of COURSE, I'm going to watch it. Who do I look like?? The director is Gina Prince-Bythewood, who has directed Love & Basketball, The Secret Life of Bees, and Beyond the Lights (which I really enjoyed and need to rewatch). The Old Guard is written by Greg Rucka and is based on his comic book that has the same name. 

 

    I loved that a dark-skinned actress, Kiki Layne, was in this movie and definitely as more than a side character. She also gets to kick butt and save the day! I also really loved Joe and Nicky's relationship like their adoration for each other…….want that….need that. Let me just drop the most amazing lines shared between them. Joe says:

 

“He’s not my boyfriend. This man is more to me than you can dream. He’s the moon when I’m lost in darkness and warmth when I shiver in cold. And his kiss still thrills me, even after a millennia.

“His heart overflows with the kindness of which this world is not worthy of. I love this man beyond measure and reason. He’s not my boyfriend. He’s all and he’s more.”

 

I was literally sitting there in awe. Like WOW, what a scene. I recall Andy and Nile also having this "Whatever it takes" moment, which IMMEDIATELY reminded me of Avengers: Endgame and Captain America 😢.

 

    Overall, I enjoyed the movie's action scenes and everything flowed really well. Nothing felt unnecessary like some of these other action movies Netflix has been releasing (Yes I am looking at you 6 Underground and Michael Bay). It definitely gave me some Deadpool vibes because of the way they heal, but I can really see the next movie being even better than the first one. This is definitely an enjoyable movie to watch by yourself or with family. I'm planning on watching it again sometime soon.

 


 

2. Fatal Affair


"Ellie tries to mend her marriage with her husband Marcus after a brief encounter with an old friend, David, only to find that David is more dangerous and unstable than she'd realized." (Source: IMDB)

 

This film stars:

Nia Long as Ellie Warren

Omar Epps as David Hammond

Stephen Bishop as Marcus Warren

ALSO, Estelle is Linda and when I saw her I was like ESTELLE?!?


 My Thoughts:


    If you like Lifetime movies, where it's a thriller and there's tons of drama you will like this movie.  I could tell this was probably directed by a white person when Ellie (Nia Long) went to bed without even a headscarf. Not a bonnet in SIGHT! I checked IMDB and I was right, this is directed by a white man, Peter Sullivan, but there is also a black writer in the credits, Rasheeda Garner which I love to see.

 

    And another thing…….the daughter is a little bit too light for me to believe she would've actually been Ellie's daughter even if her husband, Marcus, is light-skinned. But that's just my opinion. 

 

    Overall, this isn't a complex movie. It's not supposed to make you think hard and you can definitely see how things will play out. My mom wanted to watch this movie so this was more for her than me. She seemed to enjoy it and it kept my attention.

 


 

3. Upload


"A man is able to choose his own afterlife after his untimely death by having his consciousness uploaded into a virtual world. As he gets used to his new life and befriends his angel (real-world handler) questions about his death arise." (Source: IMDB)

 

This show stars:

Robbie Amells as Nathan Brown

Andy Allo as Nora Antony

Zainab Johnson as Aleesha


My Thoughts:


    I'm only on episode 3 or 4, but I'm really enjoying the show and I'm engaged because it's funny while still handling elements of death. I'm still trying to figure out why Nathan's death happened and if someone was behind it, which is a good thing. Yes, string me along!! The show literally is "So what if we bring capitalism……into the AFTERLIFE!?". It's honestly my worse nightmare, imagine you're dead, but they saved your brain so you're in this database and you still have to pay for gum and more gigabytes. You might as well put the final nail in the casket for ME. Anyway, this show is on Prime so if you like comedy watch it!



 

4. Indian Matchmaking


"Matchmaker Sima Taparia guides clients in the U.S. and India in the arranged marriage process, offering an inside look at the custom in a modern era." (Source: IMDB)

 

My Thoughts:


    I only have one episode of this show left and it's just so addicting and funny to watch. Like this is some good reality television. I don't think you will walk away understanding the in depths of an arranged marriage, but it is interesting to how some cultures have continued it despite some of the participants being uninterested in the process. I feel like it shows dating is still hard even when you have a matchmaker. Some of my criteria for a partner is waaaay longer than some of the people on this show though so let me be quiet. Thanks to my friend, Abby, for putting me on this.

 

 

 

5. DARK


"A family saga with a supernatural twist, set in a German town, where the disappearance of two young children exposes the relationships among four families." (Source: IMDB)


This shows stars:
Louis Hoffman as Jonas Kahnwald 
(and so many other actors but he's the one I always remember)

 

My Thoughts:


    I started watching this show when it first came out in 2017 and I ATE IT UP. Then the next season came out, probably while I was in school and I forgot to watch it so now I'm playing catch up. Since it's been 3 years, it is taking me a minute to remember everyone's drama because everyone in this town has some type of issues. Other than that this show is still mind-blowing and so weird in a good way. Some of the endings of the episodes really have me like HUH??? But luckily Netflix releases the whole season every time it comes out. This show involves crime, mystery, time-traveling, and a very VERY confusing family tree. Thank you to my friend, Jeni, for picking this show up and letting me know so I could find the motivation to catch up. She is actually now all the way caught up (so rude), but I'm very close to Season 3! Make sure to watch this show when you are awake and alert so you can pay attention to everything! Also, the soundtrack for this show is so beautiful.




What have you been watching recently? Any thoughts on the films or shows I've mentioned?

 

 

 


2 comments

  1. This month I finish three documentaries, The Staircase and Time: The Kalief Browder Story, Athlete A.
    I finish season 4 of Vikings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get back into watching documentaries it's been a while for me.

      Delete