Book Review of Get a Life, Chloe Brown


 "The steamy parts really made my brain short circuit and had me fanning my armpits. Like if you tried asking me what 9+9 was while reading this, I'd probably say 21."



Synopsis

 

 After almost dying, Chloe Brown, a chronically ill computer geek makes a list of seven items to help her "Get a Life".  The list includes:

 

  • Move out of her family's glamourous mansion
  • Enjoy a drunken night out
  • Ride a motorcycle
  • Go camping
  • Have meaningless but thoroughly enjoyable sex
  • Travel the world with nothing but hand luggage.
  • And….do something bad

 

Chloe has already done the first item on the list but struggles greatly to get the rest of her list done.

 

Enter Redford "Red" Morgan.  A man who happens to have a motorcycle, an artist, a handyman, and the superintendent for Chloe's apartment building. The perfect man to help Chloe clear some things off her list, but Red resents Chloe for her wealthy background. Even though he's "slightly" infatuated with her.

 

When Chloe enlists Red's help in her mission to clear her list, she learns more about him than she would've by just watching him secretly paint. Red also learns that there is more to Chloe than just her wealthy background.

 

Together perhaps they'll teach each other more than a list can solve.

 


 
My Review

 

    "Get a Life, Chloe Brown" is 369 pages and is told from the perspectives of both Chloe and Red. This is a Contemporary Romance with comedic elements. So it's a romantic comedy. I read this book in 5 days, but I'm sure if  I didn't want to savor this BEAUTIFUL WORK OF ART I could've done it in 2 days. This book is cute, it's STEAMY *sweats*, it makes me LOVE love.  I was grinning and giggling the whole time while reading this book. I was constantly cracking up.

 

    Talia Hibbert created these characters so well, I feel like I could understand the way Chloe and Red think. I enjoyed reading both of the character's perspectives and I was rooting for them both during the whole book. Talia showed themes like abandonment, insecurity, loneliness, and gaslighting through the characters and their past experiences.  Which I thought was done very well because I would describe this book as such a mood booster. 

 

    Chloe is a black plus-sized woman who has her own digital marketing freelance business (come ON boss bitch), loves vintage clothes, has tons of sparkly notebooks, and would rather be inside laying on her mountain of blankets than leave her house to do karaoke with her sister. She is so feminine and probably would be a "Soft Girl" Instagram influencer. Chloe has Fibromyalgia and occasionally she lays on the floor very ladylike to pass out. It was really insightful to see the perspective of someone dealing with chronic pain and fatigue, especially coming from an author that has the same chronic illness. Chloe prefers being alone than getting involved with people who aren't her family, but this "Get a Life" list really does help her change her perspective. But once she reveals her reasoning for this it helped me understand her hesitation to make more friends and get involved in another relationship. I loved Chloe so much, I really just wanted her to heal and let love into her life.  

 

    Red is a white man and he's ginger, which is a super convenient nickname to have. He loves to make others happy and is a mama's boy. I love the way Talia described his internal battle with his art and confidence. He would rather walk out in the middle of the city naked than show the world his art. Which would definitely lead to his arrest. Red's backstory is compelling and I sympathized with the emotional trauma he experienced that made him fearful to continue sharing his passion with the world.  But he's still very thoughtful and is always trying to look out for others even though that doesn't include himself.  Also, the way this man describes and perceives Chloe......I literally needed several minutes to gather myself.


    This book made me want to go camping with a cute guy and that is monumental for me.  Because me and outside are not friends. I need air conditioning or at least a fan. Guess which one nature has.......NEITHER. But back to the book, there is this one section where they just unconsciously flirt back and forth through email for a couple pages and let me tell you I was filled with delight. I want what they have! My email right now just consists of makeup promotions, Facebook notifications, and Spotify reminding me that they already took $10 out of my account. 


    The steamy parts really made my brain short circuit and had me fanning my armpits. Like if you tried asking me what 9+9 was while reading this, I'd probably say 21. There were moments when things were getting hot and heavy but maybe one of the characters wasn't feeling it so they stopped and just went back to talking and no one was awkward about it. The feelings and vulnerability between these two characters was truly chef's kiss. They didn't immediately open up to each other but with trust and time, it all happened very well-paced. I loved how they weren't just heating up the bed 😏 but also their hearts and minds 😢. 


    The only catch I can find in this romance is the misunderstanding trope, but it wasn't terrible. It did take me a second to get through because I get so involved while reading that it feels like I'm dealing with the misunderstanding. But what's romance without a little drama! It wasn't anything that would stop anyone from reading this book and at LEAST liking it. One of my favorite things about reading romance is that you get to see mistakes and scenarios play out through the characters so you can learn what to look out for in your own relationships. Although I wouldn't use this advice if you're reading a romance where the love interest turns out to be a vampire or bridge troll. There are probably other issues those types of relationships face. But I feel like I'm so levelheaded about romance and relationships because I've read so many. I personally plan to read it several more times and put it in my will (you're welcome future grandkids).

 

    Overall, this book made me feel all bubbly inside, happy, and now I'm yearning again *sigh*. Romance truly is a vicious cycle of yearning. I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads and I plan on immediately reading "Take a Hint, Dani Brown" which is the next sister's romance book.  I'm currently waiting at my front door for it to be delivered. 

    Also, I saw on Talia's Instagram story that she just turned in Eve's book (the youngest sister) so I will be anticipating that one too!! (like I've already added it to my Goodreads account, this is not a game)


 

I made moodboards for Chloe and Red:






          🌹  Chloe's board consists of photos from:

          🌹 Red's board consists of photos all from Pinterest


 Check out my lookbook based off the cover and the characters on my Instagram  



Have you read "Get a Life, Chloe Brown"? What'd you think about it? Do you have any contemporary romance book recommendations?

19 comments

  1. It just got delivered as I read your review! I'm excited to dig in 😋

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah love this!! I'm so excited to read this soooon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I enjoyed this one too (if I'm honest more than I enjoyed Dani Brown). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I'm excited to read Dani's book and see whose I love more. I feel like it'll be hard for me.

      Delete
  4. I keep seeing this book around the blogosphere. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And it's a fun time and such a cute read.

      Delete
  5. well...there's goes cleaning my TBR. Thanks for the review! I will have to add it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this book is on my tbr !!! this was such a great review, and the flirting through email just sounds 🥰🥰 cant wait to read this book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your humor 😆
    I'm already interested in reading this book and you make me want to read it even more 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice to hear!! I hope you do and that you love it!

      Delete
  8. I finished it yesterday and you are SPOT ON!! I really like how thorough and funny your reviews are! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I'm glad I was on it. And I'm glad you're enjoying my reviews!!!

      Delete
  9. Red's mood board. Top row. Middle slot. Find him and deliver him to me immediately. That is all. Thank you for your compliance and understanding my real and felt NEEDS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, don't know why my comment said "unknown" it's me. (Gotta make sure you deliver him to the right person)

      Delete
    2. LOL I'll make sure to have him sent to you with express shipping ASAP!

      Delete